Hi Dan, this is a grey area I have been wondering about. Like you, I have a POL, so we can't go into a shop with our POL and purchase a 800fps airgun. That requires a PAL and registration of the new airgun. With the end of the long gun registry, the licencing provisions won't change (at least not right away) so a POL holder will still not be able to purchase an over 500 fps airgun. However, if one were to purchase a sub 500 fps rifle and in their basement workshop do a little tuning to CREATE a 700 fps rifle, what then? As of today it would be a crime. Once the long gun registry is gone, a POL holder would be in possession of a long gun that no longer requires registration. The POL holder would still not be able to ACQUIRE a PAL rated rifle over the counter, but it seems that it would be legal to be in possession of one. Remember the registration records are going to be destroyed, so looking back at previously owned firearms will not be possible.

This is only one of the reasons that the licencing system needs to be overhauled.

If an individual without a PAL or POL modifies a non PAL rifle into a PAL rated one, then they would have a problem.........

And what about that powerful old springer in the attic of the garage that nobody ever thought to register 16 years ago..............would a holder of a Possession Only Licence be ok to possess it after the registry is gone?

I hope that the POL and PAL will be merged together in the near future. I challenged the CFSC exam and passed recently and am now waiting for my results to arrive in the mail (7 weeks so far) so I can send in my PAL application to Miramichi and wait some more.........

I suggest you challenge the exam Dan, preparing for it was a great refresher for me.