Finally got a chance to get out to the local Ranch and help out the owner by culling his considerable infestation of burrow-makers.... I took 3 rifles, all of them regulated HPA conversions, my 2260 and 2560, now with the new LW barrels, and the QB79 Ninja I put together last winter.... All 3 made a good account of themselves, and I was dialed in pretty good as well.... I got 20 Columbia Ground Squirrels (Gophers) and 10 Yellow-Bellied Marmots (Rockchucks), and I came home with lots of air in all 3 rifles, and never got into the last clip on the repeaters (I have 4 per rifle, which equals the shot count per fill).... I'm getting pretty good at figuring out when they are past 40 yards which is when I have to pull out my laser rangefinder.... Closer than that is a point-blank hold with my 35 yard zero....

The QB shoots 15.9 gr. Exacts at 850 fps, and I only used it for shots requiring no holdover (40 yards, where the pellet still has 20 FPE of energy).... If I did my part the combination was deadly.... The 2260 spits out 18.1 gr. JSB Heavies at 960 fps, and accounted for the majority of my kills today.... The longest shot on a gopher was 77 yards, one shot, one kill (20 FPE remaining at that range).... I was really pleased with the new LW barrel, if I didn't pull the shot, it was lights out every time.... The 2560 uses 25.4 gr. Kings, also at 960 fps (the same trajectory as the 2260, and the same scope, so the guns shoot interchangeably).... I used it on all the Marmots except one which I took with the 2260 at 35 yards, where the 28 FPE remaining energy did the trick no problem.... The 2560 excels at long range, I took the last 2 Marmots at 67 and 75 yards, missed each one with the first shot, settled down and put it between the eye and ear on the second shot.... At 75 yards the pellet has 30 FPE remaining....

The Motel is starting to get busy, so I don't know if this will be my only varmint shoot this year or not.... The first year I shot at the ranch I got nearly 100 gophers, the second year about 50, and last year I did about the same as this year, in 1 trip.... It's probably a good thing I didn't get in a second hunt last year, as I've really got the population under control it seems.... After all, I don't want to over-do it and spoil a good thing.... BTW, I'm having a go at curing one of the Marmot hides.... they sure are tough compared to a rabbit, and it took forever to scrape off all the fat.... I can't convince my wife to cook one, though.... *LOL*....

Bob