Today I removed the barrel and breech to ease the restrictions and increase the airflow.... I did NOT remove the valve from the gun, all mods were made to the barrel and bolt only, plus I installed a larger transfer port seal, from a Crosman Disco/22XX/13XX.... just the rubber seal only, not the metal sleeve.... I got that idea from Tim at Mac1, and it really works great, doing a perfect job of sealing the curved valve to the curved breech, and it's larger than you can go on the porting on a .22 cal barrel....

I drilled out the barrel port one number drill at a time, starting with the #28 (0.140") and ending with the #20 (0.161").... That makes the transfer port 75% of the bore diameter, which is as large as you dare go without creating loading problems for the pellet.... The area for the airflow is a third larger than stock.... I then drilled the nose of the flow-through bolt out one size at a time, starting from the #34 (0.111") and also ending at the #20, so that it was the same size as the barrel port.... That greatly enlarged the hole in the bottom of the bolt where the air flows through, and I used a 1/8" ball grinder tip in a Dremel to smooth and enlarge the slot formed until it was the same area as well.... After careful deburring of the inside of the barrel and bolt using a needle file, I reassembled the top end of the rifle and tested it again.... Here are the results....

The average velocity while on reg. jumped up to 738 fps (17.3 FPE), giving 48 shots starting at 2000 psi before the velocity dropped below 730, and a total of 58 shooting down to 1000 psi.... That works out to 17 psi per shot, and an efficiency of 1.10 FPE/CI.... Starting from 3000 psi, you should get 105 shots down to just under 1200 psi.... This mild mannered gun is beginning to show some real promise.... The Stage 1 mods to accomplish it can all be done with a set of numbered drills and a needle file, plus a rubber seal.... and without removing the valve from the gun....

For the next round, however, I will be pulling the valve out to improve the airflow into the valve, and provide more volume between the regulator and the valve to increase the average pressure available during the shot cycle.... I'm really looking forward to seeing the results....

Bob